Blockchain app developers are finding a rapidly growing field that is attracting more and more talented professionals. These individuals are responsible for creating decentralized applications (dApps) that operate on top of a blockchain network.
In this article, we will delve into the world of blockchain app developers and explore what these professionals do, the skills they need to possess, and the job opportunities available to them.
What do blockchain app devs do?
So, what do blockchain app developers actually do? These professionals are responsible for designing and building dApps, which are decentralized applications that run on a peer-to-peer network rather than being controlled by a central authority.
This decentralization offers several advantages, including increased transparency, security, and immutability compared to traditional centralized applications.
Identifying Successful Devs
Many dApps have a web-based user interface, so it is important for blockchain app developers to have a good understanding of these technologies.
The demand for skilled blockchain app developers is high, as more and more businesses and organizations seek to leverage the benefits of blockchain technology. Companies in a variety of industries, including financial services and technology, are looking to hire blockchain app developers to build dApps for a range of purposes, such as supply chain management, voting systems, and identity verification.
In addition to working for a company, blockchain app developers can also choose to work as freelancers or start their own blockchain-based business.
Understanding the Evolution of Blockchain Development
It is important to note that the blockchain industry is constantly evolving, and blockchain app developers need to stay up-to-date with the latest developments in order to remain competitive. This may involve continuing education and learning new programming languages and tools as they are introduced.
In conclusion, blockchain app developers play a vital role in the blockchain ecosystem by creating the dApps that power the network. These professionals need a strong foundation in software development and computer science, as well as a good understanding of blockchain technology and web development technologies.
The demand for their skills is high, and there are many job opportunities available for those who want to pursue a career in this exciting field. If you are interested in becoming a blockchain app developer, it is important to stay up-to-date with the latest developments and continue learning new skills to remain competitive in this rapidly growing industry.
How do I become a blockchain app developer?
5 steps you can take to become a blockchain app developer:
- Learn about blockchain technology: To become a blockchain app developer, it is important to have a strong understanding of how blockchain technology works and the specific blockchain platform you are interested in working with. You can learn about these topics through online resources, such as articles, blogs, and online courses. Here’s a good solidity tutorial to start with for free:
- Gain experience: As with any field, gaining experience is crucial for becoming a successful blockchain app developer. You can gain experience by working on projects on your own, participating in hackathons, or interning with a company that is working on blockchain projects.
- Stay up-to-date with industry developments: The blockchain industry is constantly evolving, and it is important for blockchain app developers to stay up-to-date with the latest developments. This may involve continuing education and learning new programming languages and tools as they are introduced.
- Network: Building relationships with other professionals in the blockchain industry can be helpful for finding job opportunities and staying informed about the latest trends and developments. You can network by attending industry events, joining online groups and forums, and connecting with other professionals on LinkedIn.
Specialized Blockchain App Developers
Note that once you’ve got the basics and some experience, you should consider focusing on expertise. Experts demand higher rates.
5 Examples of Specialized Devs
- Cross Chain Operability Engineer
- DeFi Developer
- Streaming Payments
- NFT Subscriptions
- DeFi Game Developers
- GameFi Engineer
Specialize at the Protocol Level
You could also specialize in certain growing protocols, like Livepeer. If you can get in early and understand the ins & outs of a protocol and how to build apps on it, you will have huge demand as it grows.
Be calculated when Specializing in Blockchain
Final note on specialization: ensure that you’re not risking going “too deep” on a protocol that may have limited future growth. Research the space deeply before diving in.
It’s too early to become the “Blockchain analytics developer that focuses only on Livepeer data visualizations”. Stick to something slightly specialized but broad enough that you can get meaningful work right now, like “NFT Minting” expert or something similar.
By following these steps, you can increase your chances of becoming a successful blockchain app developer. It is important to be proactive and dedicated in your pursuit of this career, as it can be a competitive field. However, with the right skills and experience, you can find rewarding job opportunities in this exciting and rapidly growing industry.
Challenges of Hiring Blockchain App Developers
Hiring skilled blockchain developers can be a challenging task for companies and organizations. The demand for these professionals is high, as more and more businesses seek to leverage the benefits of blockchain technology.
However, the supply of qualified candidates is often limited, making it difficult to find the right fit for open positions.
The Cutting Edge of Technology = Experience is Low
One issue is that the blockchain industry is still relatively new, and there is a shortage of experienced professionals with a strong track record.
Many blockchain developers are self-taught or have learned through online resources, which can make it difficult for employers to assess their skills and experience.
Additionally, the fast-paced nature of the industry means that the knowledge and skills of even experienced developers can quickly become outdated, making it important for employers to constantly seek out new talent.
Competition is Coming
Another factor that makes it difficult to hire blockchain app developers is the competition for top candidates. As more and more companies enter the space and look to build out their blockchain teams, the pool of available talent is spread thin.
This can lead to intense competition for the best candidates, with companies often offering high salaries and generous benefits packages in order to attract top talent.
Culture, Geography, and Diversity
In addition to the above challenges, there are also cultural and geographical barriers to hiring blockchain developers. Many of the best blockchain developers are located in tech hubs such as Silicon Valley and Berlin, making it difficult for companies based in other parts of the world to attract them.
There is also a lack of diversity in the blockchain industry, with a disproportionate number of white and Asian males making up the talent pool. This can make it difficult for companies looking to diversify their teams to find qualified candidates from underrepresented groups.
Bull Markets and Moon Rot
Chainwave Founder Benjamin M. Brown describes a bullmarket scenario called Moon Rot . It is the scenario when core developers on a project lose focus and / or ambition after their project “moons”. This is common and another reason why the pool of experienced developers gets reduceds in Bull Markets.
Blockchain engineers are usually at the founding level of tokens or protocols. Early protocols give substantial direct token compensation to early contributors. Most I’ve seen are fully liquid on receipt or have a relatively short vesting period like 6 months.When the project takes off and the token price skyrockets (“Moons”), these engineers find they have substantial liquid holdings. They’ve “made it” don’t need or want to work any more. Moon Rot is this effect where rapid success leads to a rotting of desire to continue the grind of blockchain work.
-Benjamin M. Brown – Founder, Chainwave
To summarize, while the demand for skilled blockchain developers is high, finding and hiring the right candidates can be a challenging task. Companies and organizations seeking to build out their blockchain teams need to be proactive in their search and be prepared to compete with other companies for top talent.
Additionally, they should consider expanding their search to include developers from underrepresented groups and explore remote work options in order to find the best fit for their needs.
Hiring a Blockchain Development Firm vs. Trying to Find the Right Blockchain App Developers
There are several benefits to hiring a blockchain development firm rather than trying to find and hire an individual blockchain application developer. These benefits include:
5 Benefits of Blockchain Agencies
- Expertise: A blockchain development firm will have a team of experienced professionals with a wide range of skills and knowledge. This means that you can access a wide range of expertise under one roof, rather than having to find and hire multiple individuals with different specialties. They can be have experience from deeper blockchain topics, like decentralized live stream development.
- Efficiency: Working with a development firm can be more efficient than trying to find and hire individual developers. The firm will already have a team in place, meaning that you can start working on your project right away. This can be especially beneficial for companies with tight deadlines.
- Quality assurance: A blockchain development firm will have processes in place to ensure the quality of their work. This can give you peace of mind that your project is in good hands and will be completed to a high standard.
- Flexibility: A development firm can be more flexible than an individual developer in terms of the scope of work they can take on. This is because they have a team of professionals who can work on different aspects of the project, allowing them to handle larger and more complex projects.
- Cost-effectiveness: Hiring a development firm can be more cost-effective than trying to find and hire individual developers. This is because you only have to pay for the services of the firm, rather than the salaries of multiple individual developers.
Overall, hiring a blockchain development firm can provide access to a wide range of expertise, efficiency, quality assurance, flexibility, and cost-effectiveness. While it may be more expensive upfront than hiring an individual developer, it can provide value in the long run by ensuring the success of your project.
What to Know when Hiring an Agency of Blockchain App Developers
When it comes to hiring an agency of blockchain app developers, it is important to vet them thoroughly to ensure that they are the right fit for your project.x
7 Steps to Hiring an Agency of Blockchain App Developers
Review their portfolio
Look at the blockchain projects that the agency has completed in the past. This will give you an idea of their skills and experience, as well as the types of projects they are capable of handling.
Research their reputation & Evaluate Their Technical Chops
Look for reviews and testimonials from previous clients to get an idea of the agency’s reputation. You can also reach out to their past clients directly to ask about their experience working with the agency.Make sure that the agency has the technical skills and expertise necessary to handle your project. You should also consider whether they have experience working with the specific blockchain platform that you are using.
Assess their communication and collaboration skills & Consider their project management process
Good communication and collaboration are essential for successful project delivery. Make sure that the agency has a track record of effectively communicating with clients and working well with cross-functional teams.Look for an agency that has well-defined project management processes in place. This will help ensure that your project stays on track and is delivered on time.
Review their pricing and contract terms
Make sure that the agency’s pricing is transparent and that the contract terms are fair and reasonable. You should also consider whether they offer ongoing support and maintenance services.
In conclusion, it is important to do your due diligence when it comes to hiring a blockchain application development agency. By thoroughly vetting the agency, you can ensure that you are working with a team that has the skills, experience, and processes in place to deliver a successful project.